Doctors believe that each and every healthy person has a specific tolerance level for toxins which allows it to maintain a biochemical balance within the body. Theory says that when the toxin levels are at or below a certain level, the body has the capability to adapt and eliminate them on its own. But when the toxin levels overflow, the body’s defensive mechanism stops working and symptoms like chronic tiredness, confusion and irritability can appear. Learn how to detoxify your body here.
Do I Need to Detox My Body?
You can easily find out if you need to cleanse your body with some tests. Blood, urine, stool tests and hair analysis can indicate the necessity of a detox diet for a little while. However not all doctors are familiar with such tests and some practitioners might be wary towards testing toxin levels. You will firstly need a practitioner who understands how beneficial a detox diet can be so that he can guide you through the process.
How to Detox: 10 Day-to-Day Signs That You Need a Body Cleanse
On a daily basis, you may be able to notice symptoms that your body has accumulated too much toxins. Here are ten of the most common symptoms:
- You often feel tired, bored, and apathetic or have low energy levels even though you are well rested and are well fed.
- You start sleeping more than usual and have a hard time waking up in the morning; you might even feel more tired when you wake up than when you went to bed.
- Stools have a strong and unpleasant smell, possibly accompanied by smelly sweat and bad breath.
- Your tongue seems to be covered by a white coat.
- You feel the need to eat large quantity of sweets; you feel an urge to eat fried or burnt foods, excessively salty or spicy foods.
- You feel depressed, nervous, scared, anxious, and hysterical, you lose the ability to focus, have often headaches, feel confused, bored, indisposed or have intense and uncontrollable sexual urges.
- You feel like your body has gotten heavier and your limbs feel heavy as well. You’re nauseous, puke or have indigestion.
- You breathe heavily and have shortness of breath.
- You have struggled with a chronic medical issue such as acne, hemorrhoids, migraines, psoriasis, constipation or degenerative, metabolic or immunity diseases like diabetes, rheumatism, allergies, cancer, arthritis, infections.
- You’ve been struggling with your weight or you have more fat deposits in different areas of your body.
The Most Powerful Ways to Detox Body and Mind
There are a few ways that can help you with the body cleanse. The most common but drastic detox diet is a juice cleanse. This would mean that for a number of days you would only homemade juice made with fresh fruits and vegetables. Another way is to eat only raw foods for a certain period of time – eat only things that are alive – for example, no meat. Read and follow my daily guide about 5 day detox diet plan (safe detox plan).
However, some people like to detox both their mind and their body and they decide to completely change their lifestyle by adopting a vegetarian or a vegan diet. Religion can also help you detox your body through fasting. Christians, for example have certain periods of time for fasting – i.e. they don’t eat anything that comes from animals for a longer period of time or they fast for a day and they don’t eat anything, except drinking water.
5 Major Detox Diet Rules
- Eat lots of vegetables. Vegetables are healthy, rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibers.
- Drink a gallon of liquids per day. It can be in any form: water, tea, soup. Liquids will help “wash” your body from the inside out and eliminate a bunch of toxins.
- Always go for whole wheat bread and whole grains. Whether its pasta, rice or cereal, choosing whole is the best option because you get the most of it and it’s less processed.
- Rediscover beans, peas, nuts and almonds. These make for great snacks and contain a lot of proteins, thus help keeping you energized and full throughout the day.
- Give up alcohol, smoking and soda. This is the most important part of a detox. If you drink or smoke, trying to detoxify your body is useless because you’re forcing toxins into your body’s tissues and organs on a regular basis.
Simple and Easy Detox Diet in a Day
Start your day with a tall glass of room temperature water – you can add a squirt of lemon as well. While making your breakfast, chunk down on a cup of tea. Breakfast could be some whole organic cereal. You can cut up a banana, add a teaspoon of organic honey and sprinkle some almonds or cashews. For lunch have a big bowl of clear soup made from carrots, potatoes, parsley and peppers. Dinner will consist of a plain salad, no dressing. You can use any type of vegetables you like. Season it with just a pinch of salt and add some nuts for protein or serve them as desert with a little bit of organic honey.
Sweet Treats during Detox
If you have a sweet tooth during any of these days don’t cave. You can have something sweet, healthy, organic and in accordance with your detox diet. Cut up a well ripe banana and set it on a tray in the freezer. When the banana slices are frozen, take them off the tray and place them into a ziplock bag. Keep them in the freezer and grab a couple of pieces when you want to taste something sweet. You can do the same thing with grapes. Just make sure to wash grapes thoroughly first and dry them well before placing them in the freezer.
It’s a good idea to opt for a detox diet on a regular basis. Before and after winter it’s always good. But after holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving you might also want to consider a juice cleanse to help your body gets back on its feet. You will notice that after a detox diet you will be a lot more energetic, you will be able to do many more things and you might even feel like your self esteem has improved if you dropped a couple of pounds during the detox.